Sure, the great Black Mamba isn’t playing opening night—and probably won’t play until at least Christmas time, which is my guess—but that doesn’t stop me from believing the Lakers will pull out the “upset” win tonight against their cross-the-hall “rivals” the Clippers.
What i’m going to do for the whole season is predict record of Lakers games in 10-block segments. I won’t do the whole year at once because it would be foolish. I figure 10-game increments will allow me to adjust for injuries and overall performance of not just my team–The Lakers!—but the league as a whole.
Without further ado, my win-loss predictions for the first 10 games are below:
- Oct. 29 – L.A. Clippers, 10:30 p.m. – WIN
- Oct. 30 – L.A. at Golden State, 10:30 p.m. – LOSS
- Nov. 1 – San Antonio, 10:30 p.m. – WIN
- Nov. 3 – Atlanta, 9:30 p.m. – WIN
- Nov. 5 – L.A. at Dallas, 8:30 p.m. – WIN
- Nov. 7 – L.A. at Houston, 9:30 p.m. – LOSS
- Nov. 8 – L.A. at New Orleans, 8 p.m. – WIN
- Nov. 10 – Minnesota, 9:30 p.m. – LOSS
- Nov. 12 – New Orleans, 10:30 p.m. – WIN
- Nov. 13 – L.A. at Denver, 9 p.m. – LOSS
End result: 6-4.
Yup, i can hear them now, the folks remarking that i’m crazy, that i’m a homer and delusional; i can see the eyerolls and the hands being thrown in the air. Keep the chuckles and guffaws coming. The Lakers are going to surprise teams. The new look Hollywood Nights Lakers sans Kobe will be a vibrant gem in the West.
Yes, we don’t play defense well, especially transitional, but we have the youth (finally!) and scoring from top to bottom. The energy of the city and the LakeShow’s fans throughout the world shall galvanize everyone from Swaggy P to Pau to Farmer to Xavier. We got this!
Underdog. Lakers. We’re a much better team than the Smush Parker era Lakers—even with Kobe on the bench indefinitely. Yes, i said that. And the league as a whole is stronger, especially the West (no matter what a few of my cohorts over at 2MW would like y’all to believe), which adds to the surprise that’s gonna occur. Mark my words.
And always remember, this applies for all y’all out there: